A new Google Chrome extension called Start Google+ allows Google+ users to import their Facebook photos as well as copy posts made in Google+ to Facebook and Twitter. Start Google+’s taskbar also integrates a Gmail notification that will allow the user to access their Gmail account quickly.
“What are the things stopping you from using Google Plus all the time? This project started with exactly that question. Some friends and I were discussing the things that made Google’s new social network hard to get started with. It quickly turned into a wishlist of all the things we wanted from the service… to easily import your photos from Facebook, to be able to post to Facebook and Twitter within Google Plus, to have a Gmail notifier right within Google Plus, and the list goes on.”, explains Zane Claes, founder of Start Google Plus on the projects homepage.
Here is a list of Start Google Plus’s future features taken directly from Zane Claes’ site;
- Nicknaming improvements: you can already get a nickname on the site, but soon you’ll be able to use a very short and pretty URL: the sgplus.me … for example, the link to my Google Plus profile will be SGPlus.me/ZaneClaes
Also, you’ll be able to change your nicknames right within Google Plus, without visiting our site, if you have the extension.
- Tagging: Right now, when you tag someone in a post in Google Plus and our Start Google Plus extension shares it to other networks (like Facebook), you will not see the person’s tag in that network. For example, if you tag me in a post on Google Plus and share it to Facebook, it will just show up as my name. Soon, the extension will use the nicknames (above) to link to the Google Plus profile that was referenced.
- URL Shortening: Right now, when you post to Twitter though the extension, things get chopped off or are generally unpretty. I also own the domain SGPlus.in , which will be used for URL shortening. For example, if the post is long, a link will be added to the end of the Twitter post like SGPlus.in/ABCD which will link to the full post on Google Plus.
- New Settings Window: The settings popup is cluttered and confusing in the extension. I’m going to make a separate settings page that looks good and makes things clearer/easier.
- UI / Notification Improvements: There is already a Gmail Notifier built in, and “Growl-Style” notifications used for certain actions. I plan to make a much fuller notification system for not just Gmail but Facebook and Twitter, too, which can show “Growl” notifications and/or numeric icons atop the favicon in the browser. In short, this means you’ll be able to keep track of FB+Twitter+Gmail easily inside of Google Plus.
- Custom Streams: combine multiple circles, etc. to form a new stream. Eg, a custom stream could be Friends+Family, where Friends and Family are each circles.
Source : ZDNet